FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: REMOTE

Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the word remote, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Microsoft Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on September 18th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Remote will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, September 19th between 3 and 4:30 pm PST.

Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Don Kingfisher Campbell


Campbell's Travels

 

I looked around the room

and my poetic eyes grew big:

 

Posters were just

postage stamps

 

The door,

but a chocolate bar

 

I punched a hole in the

paper-thin wall

 

Lifted off the roof

like it was a book

 

And stood up and surveyed

my new toy world

 

All around me, tiny models

I could have destroyed

 

Save for my feeling of guilt

at stepping on aunts, and uncles

 

I stomped out into the ocean,

which soon seemed a mere puddle

 

I left the Earth behind,

and started playing marbles with the stars

 

Until the heat of the explosions

became too much for my mind to take

 

And I realized again I was

only a poet in this cafe

 

Wanting to create something

larger than my life








Gone Too Far


For billions of years

Something small has swum

In my vast wet belly

 

When footsteps first stepped

On my skin I welcomed them

… tickled with pleasure

 

Then thunderous lizards

Stomped over my dermis

A mere 165 million—nary a change

 

But now in this last blip

Of a few hundred decades

These opposable-thumb re-facers

 

Have reshaped my face

Pouring concrete on top, placing

Buildings, I occasionally shake off

 

How long can those destroyers

Possibly continue as they hurt

My breathing, dirty my fluidity

 

All I can do is let Papa Time

Take care of my problems

As he always has, always wills






Far Away, So Close


A shadow

on the surface

is a vehicle

The rover has

many pink eyes

to capture sights

Mount Sharp

taller than

Mount Whitney

Heat the soil

a bit of water

vapor escapes

A torn piece

of plastic detritus

amongst the pebbles

Tire treads

on the rusty

dirt plain

Tintina crushed

under Curiosity’s wheel

reveals white ex-water inside

 

Dune sands

one meter deep

easier than sharp rocks

 

Horizontal beds

near the edge

of an ancient lake

 

Layers of mountain

like pages

in a book

 

Dig in and find

hematite (iron-oxide)

food for microbes

 

Methane in the air

Organic molecules

in the rock

 

There’s a

blue sunset

every night


No comments:

Post a Comment

Link to Today's Zoom Reading 3pm PST

Meeting ID: 759 9367 3202 (no spaces required) Password: poetry Here is the invite link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/ 75993673202?pwd= ZlBHVFE...