FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: REMOTE

Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the word remote, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Microsoft Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on September 18th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Remote will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, September 19th between 3 and 4:30 pm PST.

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal


Potatoes in a Mundane Life


The potatoes are in the pot
I always leave a little bit of skin.
The pants are in the dryer.
There always a little bit of lint
in the pockets. The sounds
the washer makes feels like
there is a riot going on inside.
Did I leave lose change in the
pockets again? Are Abraham
Lincoln and George Washington 
fighting again over who was
the most popular president?
I search for a remote control 
to change the channel of this
mundane life. There are birds
outside my window. One of them
is screaming, irritating the others.
They should go to the park.
I check on the boiling potatoes.
They are almost ready. I sign
into my email account. There is
significantly more spam than
usual, signifying that thieves
stay busy. What is the significance 
of this? I wouldn’t give a damn.
It is easy to block such emails.
I do not think they believe in God.
There is nothing legal about how
they operate. They are daring us
not to be vigilant. There is a knock
on my door. There is a lady and
a child selling cookies. Chicken,
do you have chicken I ask them?
They tell me, just cookies. I tell 
then I need chicken for my potatoes.






The Babies Inside

I bet the babies inside my stomach are not even mine. Someone with a remote control makes them kick me just to punish me. The case manager that always goes to court with some lawyer always tells lies about me. I am not unfit. I could run a marathon without breaking a sweat. Who else do you know could do that? I could have my babies in the alley behind the shelter. I got a good pair of scissors to cut the umbilical cord or do my own c-section. It would not be so hard. I got a high threshold for pain. My babies' daddy always beat me up because I would not let him pimp me out in the streets. He knocked out a few teeth, but I scratched his one good eye pretty good. I never had to stay in the hospital for more than two weeks. The doctor must be on crack. She should give me some.






From the Future

After J.D. Nelson

The machine was all the rage.
There were TV shows from the future

and news that would happen
only when you went to sleep.

It was a time out of reach to those
without the special remote control.

A study of the past was made
in the dream of a black crow,

The tv shows were all canceled
and all the stories were written in paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link to Today's Zoom Reading 3pm PST

Meeting ID: 759 9367 3202 (no spaces required) Password: poetry Here is the invite link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/ 75993673202?pwd= ZlBHVFE...