FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: REMOTE

Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the word remote, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Microsoft Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on September 18th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Remote will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, September 19th between 3 and 4:30 pm PST.

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Jackie Chou

The Summer After Sixth Grade


I traced my finger 
down the phone book
hoping to find the spot 
in the universe 
where you existed 

The neighbor's kid and I 
chalked your name on the road
like summoning a spirit 
on a Ouija board 
like the old woman
ululating for her absent son
from an alley apartment 
except my cries for you
were always silent 
and stuck in my throat 

Nowadays
when I search for you online 
a hundred people appear 
who have the same name as you
like mermaids emerging 
from the sea's surface 
each with a unique face 
that isn't yours 
my finger poking at the screen 
trying to get through to you





Remote

I sit next to you 
but I am far away

If you look into my eyes
you will know 
I am not really here

Outside the window 
magnolias broadcast 
the arrival of spring 

My arm presses
against the glass pane
like a trapped wing

I am in America
though I might as well be
in the land of dissociation

I am a citizen
yet I feel like an alien
alone with my thoughts

You try to break the ice 
with small talk
but my face remains 
frozen in space


No comments:

Post a Comment

Link to Today's Zoom Reading 3pm PST

Meeting ID: 759 9367 3202 (no spaces required) Password: poetry Here is the invite link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/ 75993673202?pwd= ZlBHVFE...