FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: REMOTE

Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the word remote, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Microsoft Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on September 18th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Remote will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, September 19th between 3 and 4:30 pm PST.

Friday, September 18, 2026

Tammy Smith

Mistrial

The first thought I had
when the judge declared
the Lindsay Clancy murder case
a mistrial: what a nightmare

I couldn’t imagine a mother
with a plan
to strangle her kids—so horrific,
so wrong it defies
language.

I no longer own
a physical dictionary
to look up filicide.
The word itself
offers no closure,
no comfort
for this level of brutality.

Who isn’t exhausted
most of the time?

I miss the two days a week
I used to work remotely.
I worry about getting stuck
in traffic, running out of gas.

I shiver when I think
how little space there is
between making a wish
and watching it come true.

Trick candles won’t blow out,
but the ice cream cake melts anyway.
I’m tired of being stared at
by fake-happy people
clapping and singing off-key—
when all I want to do
is disappear.

Can a mother crave solitude
and leave her own party?
What if she stays
but can’t put up with the noise
without snapping?

The crowd boos either way.

Pink T-shirts. GoFundMes.
Pleas for compassion.
Pleas for the death penalty.

Don’t forget
she killed her three babies—

postpartum psychosis,
postpartum depression,
failures in maternal mental health.

Watching the testimony,
I shudder when Lindsay’s sister,
a social worker like me,
solemn-faced,
takes the stand.

I once shared a cell
with a woman
who slit her daughter’s wrists.
We took turns sobbing
over our plates of cold potatoes.

Whenever I complained
about my forty-five days,
she reminded me:

At least you’ll get out
and can still make something
of your life.

I’ll never be free.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Link to Today's Zoom Reading 3pm PST

Meeting ID: 759 9367 3202 (no spaces required) Password: poetry Here is the invite link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/ 75993673202?pwd= ZlBHVFE...